LEVEL ONE SEA KAYAKING COURSE
Paddle Canada’s Level One Sea Kayaking Course is our most in-depth and comprehensive paddling course. We combine both in-class and on-water teaching environments to provide you with the theory and fundamental paddling skills required to become a confident sea kayaker.
Our Level One Sea Kayaking Course emphasizes a strong foundation of technical paddling skills, rescues, navigation, and safety techniques. Participants must also demonstrate beyond-basic techniques with a firm knowledge in Journeying and Seamanship; a portion of the course focuses on navigation, weather, sea state, safety, communication, and group awareness.
LEVEL ONE SEA KAYAKING COURSE ITINERARY:
- Assisted Eskimo Rescue
- Deep Water Rescue (both as victim and rescuer)
- Self Rescues without assistance
- Contact Towing
- Communication (demonstrating by attitude and action)
- Sea Kayak equipment, accessories and personal gear
Journey and seamanship
- Trip Planning and Organization
- Launch and Landing Options
- Navigation and Route Selection
- Compass Reading
- Weather and Water Interpretations
- Group Awareness and Communication
- Kayak Fit and Adjustment
- First Aid
- Emergency Procedures
- Available Kayaking Resources
- Lift, Carry, Launch, and Landing
- Paddling forward, reverse, and stopping
- Moving sideways
- Supporting and recovery strokes
- Stern rudder
Paddling Strokes and Techniques
- Low and High Brace
- Forward Stroke and Forward Sweep
- Reverse Stroke and Reverse Sweep
- Sculling Draw
- Participation (individual and group)
- Kayaking skills
- Group awareness and self-control
- General attitude
Note: Successful participants receive a Paddle Canada Level One Sea Kayaking Course Certification Card.
- Quality Delta Kayaks Performance Touring Kayaks (if not using your own pre-approved boat)
- Kayak PFD
- Kayak paddle
- Paddle Float
- Throw Bag
Note: If you are using your own pre-approved performance touring kayak, don't forget to bring along the necessary gear as indicated above!
Courses are non-refundable; however, a credit is kept on file in the instance of cancellation. The credit can be used towards a future course or purchase.
Frontenac Outfitters reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any course or clinic due to inclement weather or lack of participation.
SUGGESTED STUFF TO BRING
- Wide-brimmed sun hat
- Sunglasses and eyeglass floats
- Sunscreen and lip balm (waterproof)
- Proper water clothing - Bathing suit, T-shirt and shorts, light long-sleeve shirt, etc... whatever you feel most comfortable wearing
- Raincoat, paddling jacket, and sweater (if needed)
- Water shoes or sandals (not required)
- Kayaking Trip Log (if you have one)
- Pen, pencil and notebook
- Any reference material you may wish to share with the group
PLACES TO STAY
- We offer on-site wooded and waterfront campsites at $25 per night
- There are country-style Bed and Breakfasts nearby
- Kingston is a short 35-minutes away with an abundance of accommodations available
Should you have any questions about our kayak lessons, please do not hesitate to call 613.376.6220 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
COST AND REQUIREMENTS
Prerequisite: Paddle Canada Flat-water Intro to Sea Kayaking Course
Length: 2 Days with approx. 8 Hours each Day
Location: Frontenac Outfitters Canoe & Kayak Centre’s Pearkes Lake
Cost: $295.00 + $38.35 (13% HST) = $333.35
Note: If you require a kayak for the Level One Sea Kayaking Course, a rental reservation is to be made at the time of course booking. You will receive a 50% discount on the rental fee – $56 (rental rate) x 2 (days) + $14.56 (13% HST) = $126.56 – 50% = $63.28
HOW TO BOOK
Complete the registration form to sign up - payment is due in advance to secure your spot with it being processed online, in person, or over the phone.
Courses have a limited capacity and are usually filled in advance.
Courses operate rain or shine and are only delayed by lightning or unruly weather.