Log in if you have an account
Having an account with us will allow you to check out faster in the future, store multiple addresses, view and track your orders in your account, and more.Create an account
Level One Sea Kayaking Course
Paddle Canada’s Level One Sea Kayaking Course is our most in-depth and comprehensive paddling course. We combine both in-class and on-water teaching environments to provide you with the theory and fundamental paddling skills required to become a confident sea kayaker.
Our Level One Sea Kayaking Course emphasizes a strong foundation of technical paddling skills, rescues, navigation, and safety techniques. Participants must also demonstrate beyond-basic techniques with a firm knowledge in Journeying and Seamanship; a portion of the course focuses on navigation, weather, sea state, safety, communication, and group awareness.
Prerequisite: Paddle Canada Flat-water Intro to Sea Kayaking Course
Length: 2 Days with approx. 8 Hours each Day
Location: Frontenac Outfitters Canoe & Kayak Centre’s Pearkes Lake
Cost: $295.00 + $38.35 (13% HST) = $333.35
Note: If you require a kayak for the Level One Sea Kayaking Course, a rental reservation is to be made at the time of course booking. You will receive a 50% discount on the rental fee – $56 (rental rate) x 2 (days) + $14.56 (13% HST) = $126.56 – 50% = $63.28
How to Book
With only two sessions a season, the Level One Sea Kayaking Course fills up quickly with class size being limited.
Complete the registration form to sign up - payment is due in advance to secure your spot with it being processed online, in person, or over the phone.
Courses run rain or shine and are only delayed by lightening or unruly weather.
Level One Sea Kayaking Course Itinerary:
- Assisted Eskimo Rescue
- Deep Water Rescue (both as victim and rescuer)
- Self Rescues without assistance
- Contact Towing
- Communication (demonstrating by attitude and action)
- Sea Kayak equipment, accessories and personal gear
- Journey and seamanship
- Trip Planning and Organization
- Launch and Landing Options
- Navigation and Route Selection
- Compass Reading
- Weather and Water Interpretations
- Group Awareness and Communication
- Kayak Fit and Adjustment
- First Aid
- Emergency Procedures
- Available Kayaking Resources
- Lift, Carry, Launch, and Landing
- Paddling forward, reverse, and stopping
- Moving sideways
- Supporting and recovery strokes
- Stern rudder
- Paddling Strokes and Techniques
- Low and High Brace
- Forward Stroke and Forward Sweep
- Reverse Stroke and Reverse Sweep
- Sculling Draw
- Participation (individual and group)
- Kayaking skills
- Group awareness and self-control
- General attitude
Note: Successful participants receive a Paddle Canada Level One Sea Kayaking Course Certification Card
- Quality Delta Kayaks Performance Touring Kayaks (if not using your own pre-approved boat)
- Kayak PFD
- Kayak paddle
- Paddle Float
- Throw Bag
Note: If you are using your own pre-approved performance touring kayak, don't forget to bring along the necessary gear as indicated above!
Courses are non-refundable; however, a credit is kept on file in the instance of a cancellation. This credit can be used towards a future course or purchase.
Frontenac Outfitters reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any course or clinic due to inclement weather or lack of participation.
Suggested Stuff to Bring
- Wide brimmed sun hat
- Sunglasses and eye glass floats
- Sunscreen and lip balm (waterproof)
- Proper water clothing - Bathing suit, T-shirt and short, light long-sleeve shirt, etc... whatever you feel most comfortable wearing
- Raincoat, paddling jacket, and sweater (if needed)
- Water shoes or sandals (not required)
- Kayaking Trip Log (if you have one)
- Pen, pencil and notebook
- Any reference material you may wish to share with the group
Places to Stay
- We offer on-site wooded and waterfront campsites at $25 per night
- There are country-style Bed and Breakfasts nearby
- Kingston is a short 35-minutes away with an abundance of accommodations available
If you're looking for a unique stay during the Level One Sea Kayaking Course, check out Cabinscape's Penner Cabin located on our property!
Should you have any questions about our kayak lessons, please do not hesitate to call 613.376.6220 or email us at [email protected]
Have you ever been stand-up paddleboarding before?
Check out our paddle board lessons to learn more about walking on water!
To view the Paddle Canada website, Click Here!
– Bob and Marg Irwin
– Wayne Nicholson
Add your review
Review Level One Sea Kayaking Course