Log in if you have an account
Having an account with us will allow you to check out faster in the future, store multiple addresses, view and track your orders in your account, and more.Create an account
Intro to Sea Kayaking Course
Paddle Canada’s full-day Flat water Intro to Sea Kayaking is Frontenac Outfitters' most popular kayak course year after year!
This comprehensive, co-ed kayak course teaches you the fundamentals of sea kayaking theories, strokes, rescues, and recovery skills. Be ready to spend the day on, in, and under the water… and love it!
This course is highly recommended by everyone who has ever taken it and many students repeat this confidence building course season after season to further hone, develop, and refine their kayaking skills.
Note: These kayak courses often fills up weeks to months in advance so early Registration is highly recommended!
Prerequisite: Swim 50-Meters with a PFD
Course Length: 8-Hours
Location: Frontenac Outfitters Canoe & Kayak Centre’s Pearkes Lake
Cost: $185.00 + $24.05 (13% HST) = $209.05 (Receive a 10% discount for using your own pre-approved sea kayak)
How to Book
Kayak Courses class dates and size are limited and book up quickly.
To sign up please complete the registration form - Payment is due in advance to secure your spot and is processed online, in person, or over the phone.
Courses run rain or shine and are only delayed by lightening and unruly weather.
Intro to Sea Kayaking Course Itinerary:
- Common safety signals used when paddling in groups
- The purpose of a Float Plan
- Retrieving capsized kayaks
- Bow rescue, T-Rescue, rafting kayaks to form a stable platform
- Kayak Types – Performance Touring Kayaks (sea kayaks), Touring Kayaks, Recreational Kayaks, and Whitewater Kayaks
- Boat Designs – learn to distinguish the compromises between price, performance, quality, and safety
- Parts of a kayak, safety features, what constitutes a safe kayak
- Boat outfitting, personal fit, control, and safety
- Safety equipment (mandatory and recommended) and how to use
- Paddling apparel for different weather conditions and temperatures
- Kayak paddles, the diverse selection, intention and benefits
- Equipment need, proper use, and care
- Injury prevention, stretches, and warm-ups
- Entering and exiting from shorelines and dock environments
- Wet exits and re-entries
- Balance points, initial, and secondary stability
- Low brace
- Pivot and turning points
- Straight line paddling, forward, and reverse
- Lifts and carries (solo and tandem)
- Forward and reverse strokes, forward and reverse sweeps, reverse stroke, draw stroke, cross-bow stroke
- Participation individual and group
- Kayaking skills
- Group awareness and self-control
- General attitude
Receive a Paddle Canada Flat-water Certification
- Premium Delta Kayaks Performance Touring Kayak
- Kayak PFD
- Kayak Paddle
- Paddle Float
- Throw Bag
- Spray Skirt
Note: If you are using your own pre-approved performance touring kayak, please bring the required gear items with you.
Suggested Stuff to Bring:
- Wide brimmed sun hat
- Sunglasses and glasses floats
- Sunscreen and lip balm (waterproof)
- Proper water clothing, bathing suit, swim shorts, quick dry top, etc... (whatever you feel most comfortable wearing)
- Water shoes (not required)
- Lots of water and full lunch
- A complete change of clothes and tow
Note: Our lake warms very quickly so wetsuits and dry suits are not normally required. If you prefer to wear one, you're encouraged to bring your own with you, or Farmer John wetsuits are available for rent.
Courses are non-refundable; however, a credit is kept on file in the instance of a cancellation. This credit can be used towards a future course or purchase.
Frontenac Outfitters reserves the right to cancel or reschedule courses due to extreme weather or lack of participation.
Places to Stay
- We offer on-site wooded and waterfront campsites at $25 per night
- There are country-style Bed and Breakfasts nearby
- Kingston is a short 35-minutes away with an abundance of accommodations available
Should you have any questions about our kayak lessons, please do not hesitate to call 613.376.6220 or email us at [email protected]
If you love this course, your next step is our Sea Kayaking Level 1 2-Day Certification Course!
To view the Paddle Canada website, Click Here!
– Pat Humphrey
– Shelly & Denis McKay
Add your review
Review Flat-Water Intro to Sea Kayaking Course