Log in if you have an account
Having an account with us will allow you to check out faster in the future, store multiple addresses, view and track your orders in your account, and more.Create an account
Canoe Lessons - Basic Skills Course
Our canoe lessons are ideal if you're new to canoeing or want to fix bad habits and refine your skills.
During the basic skills course, you're taught basic strokes and maneuvers, proper technique with an emphasis on steering using the 'J-Stroke', and how to safely launch a canoe and pull it out of the water. We also educate you on the different canoe designs and their specific uses and benefits as well as canoe terminology and how to lift and tie down a canoe on your vehicle.
Prerequisite: Swim 50-Meters with a PFD
Course Length: 3-Hours
Location: Frontenac Outfitters Canoe & Kayak Centre’s Pearkes Lake
Cost: $85.00 + $11.05 (13 HST) = $96.05 (Includes Canoe and Gear)
How to Book
Contact Us about customizing a date for your canoe lessons - basic skills course!
- Boat Designs and Terminology
- Canoe Types – Tripping, Recreational, Solo
- Safety features and what constitutes a safe canoe
- Safety equipment – what one needs to be ‘legal’ vs. what one needs to be ‘safe’
On Water Skills
- Launching Methods - Entering and Exiting from a Dock or Shoreline
- Forward and Reverse Strokes
- Technical Strokes - ‘J’ Stroke, Sweeps, Draws, Pry
- Rafting and T-Bow Rescue
- Premium Tandem Tripping Canoe
- Canoe Paddle(s)
- Safety Kit - Bailer, Whistle, and Throw Bag
Courses are non-refundable; however, a credit is kept on file in the instance of a cancellation. This credit can be used towards a future course or purchase.
Frontenac Outfitters reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any of our canoe lessons due to inclement weather or lack of participation.
Suggested Stuff to Bring (Weather Dependent)
- Wide-Brimmed Hat
- Sunglasses (eyeglass floats are also suggested)
- Sunscreen and lip balm (waterproof)
- Bathing suit and towel
- Clothing you feel comfortable in - T-shirt, light long-sleeve shirt, shorts, dry pants, etc...
- Water shoes or sandals
- Water Bottle (we stock pop & water)
- An attitude for having fun!
Places to Stay
We offer on-site wooded and waterfront campsites at $25 per night., and there are country-style Bed and Breakfasts nearby. Kingston is a short 35-minutes away with an abundance of accommodations available.
If you're looking for a unique stay during your canoe lessons, check out Cabinscape's Penner Cabin located on our property!
Should you have any questions about our canoe lessons, please do not hesitate to call 613.376.6220 or email us at [email protected]!
Have you ever thought about learning how to kayak?
Check out our Getting Started Kayaking Course to learn why so many canoeist are falling in love with double-blade paddling!
Add your review
Review Canoe Lessons - Basic Skills Course