Log in if you have an account
Having an account with us will allow you to check out faster in the future, store multiple addresses, view and track your orders in your account, and more.Create an account
Getting Started Kayaking - 1/2 Day
Getting Started Kayaking Course
During the Getting Started Kayaking Course, you learn the basic strokes, correct techniques, and how to stay while enjoying a fun on-water experience!
Learn the fundamental kayaking skills in the warm, calm waters of our own beautiful Pearkes Lake. The course focuses on kayak terminology, understanding boat design, and the key elements to look for in a kayak.
Learn how to enter and exit your kayak from a beach or dock, how to use your safety gear and in-water exits and reentries are emphasized through an assisted rescue.
Completing the Getting Started Kayaking course provides you with the skills to quickly become an educated, responsible kayaker!
Getting Started Kayaking Course Itinerary
- Boat Designs – learn to distinguish the compromises between price, performance, quality, and safety.
- Kayak Types – Sea/Performance-Touring Kayaks, Touring Kayaks, Recreational Kayaks, and Whitewater Kayaks
- Safety features - what constitutes a safe kayak
- Safety Gear – what one needs to be ‘legal’ vs. what one needs to be ‘safe.’
- Entering and Exiting a Kayak from a Dock and Shoreline
- Forward and Reverse Strokes
- Technical Strokes - Sweeps, Draws, Pivots
- Low Brace (paddle slap) and Rafting
- Wet Exit and Entry - Solo Paddle Float Rescue and T-Bow Assisted Rescue
T-Bow Assisted Kayak Rescue
- Premium Delta Kayaks' Performance Touring Kayak
- Kayak Paddle
- Paddle Float
- Bilge Pump
- Throw Bag
Note: If you are using your own pre-approved performance touring kayak, please bring the above items along with you.
Courses are non-refundable; however, a credit is kept on file in the instance of cancellation. This credit can be used towards a future course or purchase.
Frontenac Outfitters reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any course or clinic due to inclement weather or lack of participation.
Suggested Stuff to Bring
- Wide-brimmed sun hat
- Sunglasses and Glasses Floats
- Sunscreen and lip balm (waterproof)
- On-Water Clothing - bathing suit, swim shorts, quick-dry top, etc...
- Towel and Dry Cloths
- Water Shoes (if desired - not required)
- Water Hydration and Snacks
- An attitude for having fun!
Note: Our lake warms very quickly, so wet and dry suits are not normally required. That said, Farmer John Wetsuits are available for rent, or you're encouraged to bring your own.
Places to Stay
- We offer on-site wooded and waterfront campsites at $25 per night
- There are country-style Bed and Breakfasts nearby
- Kingston is a short 35-minutes away with an abundance of accommodations available
Should you have any questions about our kayak lessons, please do not hesitate to call 613.376.6220 or email us at [email protected]!
Cost and Requirements
Prerequisite: Swim 50-Meters with a PFD
Course Length: 3.5-Hours
Location: Frontenac Outfitters Canoe & Kayak Centre’s Pearkes Lake
Cost: $95.00 + $12.35 (13% HST) = $107.35 (Includes Sea Kayak and Gear)
Note: As an added bonus, if you sign up for our Paddle Board Lessons on the same day and SAVE 50% on the SUP course!
How to Book
Complete the registration form to sign up - payment is due in advance to secure your spot with it being processed online, in person, or over the phone.
Courses have a limited capacity and are usually filled in advance.
Courses operate rain or shine and are only delayed by lightning or unruly weather.
Once you've completed the beginner's kayaking course, the next step is to register for our Flat-water Introduction to Sea Kayaking Course!